Monday, January 24, 2011

Block Seven with Celine Perkins

Here we are with block seven!  I'm not sure if I can believe it.  So, first off, for inquiring minds -- I went with the rust -- the border was meant to pop and the mustard blended rather than popped -- so glad you liked the rust!  (The mustard really went well with the fabric, just not in the small quantity, make a statement position.) 

Okay, now you can see block 7.  Wait!  First you have to meet Celine.

Celine Perkins is the designer of block seven.  You might know her as Perkins Dry Goods.  HERE is the link to her blog.

She has been in the quilting business as long as I have, except we've never met as she lives in Minnesota.  That's a long way from Utah.  I don't know why I haven't met her at Market.  Probably because we have both been in our own booths busy, busy, busy!

Here's Celine!

Hi everyone!


My name is Celine Perkins and my blog is A Few Loose Threads at http://www.perkinsdrygoods.com/blog. I am very happy to be included in this quilt along and I hope you like my block! Stop by my blog today and leave a comment - I'll be doing a giveaway too and it's a surprise!

I have loved to sew for as long as I can remember. My mom used to make all of my clothes when I was little, probably up until my wonderful teen years. She taught me to sew.

I started quilting in 1983. I took a class with a co-worker and was totally hooked after that. I started teaching quilting in 2000 and it seemed like a kind of natural progression to move into designing and writing patterns for quilts. Whenever I taught a class, I always re-wrote instructions, simplified things or added tips. Then I started designing things to teach. Perkins Dry Goods was born about 2 years later in 2002. I have published close to 40 patterns and self published 3 books. I love quilting and creating.

I'm married and have three children, two are away at college and one is a junior in high school. Zola the yellow lab and Rosie the Siamese kittiot round out my family. We live in suburban Minneapolis and right about this time of year, someplace warm and sunny sounds really good!

Happy Quilting!

Celine

Thanks Celine!

CLICK HERE for the instructions to Block Seven.

Here is the picture of Celine's block.


Here is the picture of my block.  I picked the stripe to be my background color.  I think I would have been better off using the light green as the background.  The stripe is very dominating.  The busy fabrics I am using have been a great learning experience for me. 


FYI, the pattern calls for 5 layer cake blocks.  I used three.  Both sets of squares, I had scraps I could use.  Just something to think about.  Also, when you are putting together the A and C triangles (see pattern) make sure you get them in the same order each time.  Those could be easily sewn together incorrectly.  One last thing, this block looks harder than it is.  You may not have assembled something like this before.  Give it a try.  Just be careful not to stretch the seams, as Celine notes in the pattern.

So what happens next?


Well, any pictures posted in the flickr group by tonight will be entered into the first drawing. About 10 ish tonight (Mountain Time) I will post my Block SIX. All blocks BEFORE mine are those entered into the first drawing. It doesn't matter which block - just the one's posted before mine. If you post your block AFTER mine, then it will be entered into the next drawing. I will post the winners tomorrow.

What's up for grabs this time?

Toby has donated THREE of her Perfect Piecing Seam Guide as our prize tomorrow! Thanks Celine!


What do I have? I have a couple charm packs that would love to find their way to you.

Happy Quilting!  

10 comments:

Michele said...

I love this block and can't wait to get started! Thanks again for hosting this quilt along......it's so much fun!

Karen said...

That is an AWESOME block!

Gene Black said...

Looks like fun! I will have to pull my fabric out and see what I can do with the colors.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I like the block! Unfortunately it will have to wait to be made until tomorrow.

Staci said...

Oh, this block is so darn cute! I can't wait to make it!

Darlene said...

I love this block and can't wait to make it this week!

Lee Ann L. said...

Oh, I love this block. It's going to be quite the challenge for me. :-)

Anonymous said...

Really like this block. The fabric choice will always make it or break it. I like you choices.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Ah! I am behind! I have to run from computer to table and it is just too frustrating and I LOVE this block which of course makes is soo much worse.
I was totally shocked when the block was posted today. Has it really been 2 weeks since my printer died? Yikes!

Konda, I just wanted to thank you again for hosting this. It is so much fun! Thanks to the designers too. They are great!

Anonymous said...

All the blocks are great. I'm enjoying looking at your versions, too, with all your stripes!